Objects - Churches - Mere Museum
Objects – Churches
A notice inviting parishioners of Mere to attend a Vestry meeting in July 1864 to discuss the two proposed chapels in the Cemetery.
A 19th-century wooden box with handle used in Mere Parish Church for collecting alms.
The font in Mere Parish Church in its present position in the south aisle. It has a 15th-century bowl and a 19th-century base
The Royal Arms of King James II, dated 1684, which hangs over the north door of Mere Parish Church.
A banner made by the members of the congregation of The United Reformed Church, Mere, in 1991. The motifs symbolise the life of the United Reformed Church.
An unusual iron memorial to Aynott and Richard Chitty in Mere Parish Churchyard, dated 1853 and 1855.
A poster advertising “Mere Thanksgiving Festival and Harvest Home” in September, 1868.
A disused church clock made by Kingston Avery, an 18th-century clockmaker of Mere. The clock is housed above the ringing chamber in the church tower.
A poster advertising anniversary sermons at the Primitive Methodist Chapel, Mere, 11th September, 1870.
A 19th-century collecting box “For the Poor and Needy”, once used in Mere Parish Church.
The inner porch of the west door of Mere Parish Church.. It was made in 1998 in memory of the Rev. Kenneth Johnson, an assistant priest in Mere.
A plan for re-organising the pews in Mere Parish Church prepared by the 19th-century architect, T. H. Wyatt.
A coloured print of an engraving of 1812 showing “Meir Church”, ‘Deans Orchard’ and Castle Hill, Mere.
A ticket for the opening of the Mission church of St. Matthew, The Causeway, Mere, in 1882.
A 15th-century alabaster plaque in the sanctuary of Mere Parish Church, showing The Adoration of the Magi. It was found in a garden in Mere and given to the church by T. H. Baker, a local historian.
A cup and saucer made for Mere Parish Church in the late 19th century.
One of the many carved angels in the roof of the nave in Mere Parish Church.
A copy of a watercolour sketch of the first Chapel and the Manse of Mere Congregational Church. It was made from memory by Revd. R. P. Erlebach after the chapel was demolished to make way for the second Congregational Chapel of 1852.
A postcard representation of one of four 14th-century quatrefoil stained glass windows in the former Bettesthorne Chapel, now St. Matthews’s chapel, in St. Michael’s Parish Church. This one shows St. Christopher.
The brass for Sir John Bettesthorne in the floor of the south chapel in Mere Parish Church, dated 1398.
One of the 15th-century misericords in the back choir stalls on the north side of Mere Parish Church. Those on the south side date to the 15th century and those on the north side are 20th-century copies.
An early 19th-century engraving of Mere Parish Church.
Click thumbnails to view slides
Back to Collections
Objects – Agriculture
Objects – Waltons of Mere
Objects – Shops, Trades and Industry
Objects – The Temperance Movement in Mere
Objects – Churches
Objects – Recreation
Objects – Events
Objects – Geology